Thursday, June 08, 2006

Girona y Barcelona

Day 4 (May 7, 2006).

Paris / Beauvais.
Woke up at 4:30am in order to catch a bus to Beauvais Airport (an hour outside of Paris). Metro did not start until 5:30am, so I walked 50 minutes (with my backpack) across Paris to the bus location. In a strange way, it was sort of fun. In route, I saw two sides of late night Paris. The first part included passing peep shows, clubs, and pubs. People were just getting out, lingering in the streets, and satisfying their munchies. The second part consisted of dark high class residential streets and no one on the streets (except me). Here, I walked with my cell phone (off) attached to my ear while talking and singing gibberish in both Chinese and English to myself. This was a comical attempt for precaution, but in retrospect it was mostly for self-entertainment.

Girona.

My flight from Beauvais was not directly into Barcelona. It arrived in Girona. So I decided to explore the small town. I wandered the medieval cathedral and the maze-like courtyards and gardens that surround it. For lunch I ate Gazpacho, Valencia Paella, Catalunya Creme, and cafe con leche. I never thought I would like a cold soup, but Gazpacho is damn delicious! You have to try it to believe it. Paella, I love Paella!!! Catalunya Creme, very similar to Creme Brulee.

Barcelona.

On my train to Barcelona, I met Kelly. She was from the Pleasant Hill CA (Bay Area) and lived in San Diego. She met her husband, who is from Spain, in SD. And eventually moved to Barcelona. We talked about the economy in Barcelona. She told me that the corporate ladder has a low ceiling. And, many people try to start their own businesses because of little work opportunities.

After I checked into my hostel, I walked out and the street was crowded with hollering soccer fans and honking cars and buses. Day before, the Barcelona soccer team won the regional championship. The rowdy fans partaking in the parade fiesta, eagerly awaiting for the team bus to pass by. People were on top of news stands and telephone booths. Carefree singing, dancing, and chanting [video]. It was invigorating just to be in that electric atmosphere. Eventually, the team came through and the street exploded! "Campeones!... Campeones!..." One thing the Spanish have (that I revere) is uninhibited zeal.

The rest of the night was spent roaming the many crowded streets of Las Ramblas. On a late Sunday evening, it seemed people were just getting their day started... which they probably were.

Day 5 (May 8, 2006).

Barcelona.

I signed up for a four hour walking tour of the works of the brilliant Antoni Gaudi. The tour guides name was Jordi. Gaudi's architecture is so unique and outstanding in the city that people refer to Barcelona as the "Barcelona of Gaudi". I was utterly amazed with not only the genius of this man, but also his philosophy towards his craft. Nature was his true inspiration. In that, none of his works included straight lines (b/c there are no straight lines in nature). So throughout his artworks, you can find the likeness of things in everyday life (i.e. snail shells, ocean waves, bones). And he was not only an artist, but also a very keen in engineer. He must have oversaw several projects simultaneously and not slept at all. In those days, the architect designed every aspect of a building from top to bottom, inside and out... which makes his feat that much more impressive. His most ambitious project is still in progress to this day. When he designed La Sagrada Familia, he knew he would not see the completion in his lifetime. The expected completion date is 2050!

On the tour, I met Simon. He was from Sydney, but no lives in Dublin, where he plays professional Rugby (position forward). He did not paint a pretty picture of Dublin... said it rains all the time and the winters are harsh (his words "suicide watch"). He shared my love of Paella, so we grabbed lunch. Except, this time I tried the noodle version of Paella (instead of rice).
Later wandered through Las Ramblas, Barri Gotic, and the beach. There was one cathedral that was wrapped by narrow alleyways, and around every corner there was a different street performer. A violin player performing Canon in D, spanish guitar, and an opera singer... each echoing the quiet alleways.

...

Girona



Park Güell (Antoni Gaudi)


video: futbol fans
more pics: photo album

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home