Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Switzerland (Part I)

Day 9 (May 12, 2006).

Barcelona to Baden.

The next destination was Baden (15 min. from Zurich) Switzerland to stay at my friend Uli's place. The entire day was spent on the train traveling through Northeast Spain, Southern France, and Switzerland. There were four transfers total. The highlight of the train ride was passing along the gorgeous Costa Brava coast of Spain and through the green countryside of Southern France.

When I arrived in Baden at around 11:30pm, I was greeted with a familiar and friendly smile. And then walked into a freshly prepared home-cooked meal. The mouth-watering dinner consisted of bread, salad, Filet Mignon, potatoes, green beans, and a fantastic Italian wine (Amarone della Valpolicella). I was so grateful for such a delicious meal and the fact that she waited for me to eat dinner. We chatted until the strong wine and our exhausting longs days caught up with us.

On my last night in Barcelona, I started to feel the effects of a cold. My fast-paced (and perhaps overly-ambitious) first week began to take its toll on my body. So it was a true blessing to be able to stay in the comfort of a friend's home.

Day 10 (May 13, 2006).

Zürich.

For breakfast, I woke up to a smorgasbord of deli meats, swiss cheeses, bread (including Gipfli, the yummy Swiss-German version of the croissant), juices, and Café Crème. Then we headed to Zürich by train, and went up a mountain with a lookout point overlooking the city and Lake Zürich. Uli pointed out the Gold Coast along the lakeside, which is where richest of rich live. We then walked through the city and down the main street that is lined with expensive shops of Swiss watches and clothing. And then the climax of my first time in Zürich... "the best Bratwurst in Zürich"!!! Uli said this place was even featured on a Japanese food show. And if you've ever seen one of these shows, you know everything they feature looks f-ing "oishi"!!! The mouth-watering sausage is served with the most potent mustard sauce (so good!) that clears your sinuses (i think they make it with horse radish) and also the most delectable roll that is baked using charcoals. And wash it all down with a refreshing beer. Fortunately for me Uli could only finish half, so I got more than one! The next thing on the food tour was the famous Swiss sweet treat, Luxemburgerli. It's like a mini sandwich of sweet paste between two meringue buns. I got one of each flavor (lemon, strawberry, champagne, chocolate, citrus, mocha, ...)! Then for dinner, we went back to Baden. Uli cooked my favorite Swabian dish (actually, the only one I know of), Spätzle. Words cannot describe how much I love this stuff! I could eat so much that my heart will explode! Perhaps it is better that I only get to eat it when I'm in Europe or when Uli visits the states.

Day 11 (May 14, 2006).

Luzern (Lucerne).
For breakfast, we got Gipfli and Café Crème at the train station, and headed to Lucerne. After we arrived in Luzern, we took a ferry on Lake Lucerne and then took a cogwheel train up to Mount Rigi. The ferry ride featured the mirror-like lake, green mountains, and the snow-capped Swiss Alps in the background. And Mt Rigi featured breathtaking views of Lake Lucerne and the vivid green land around it. Fortunately, we got a clear view of the land beneath us before the thick clouds consumed the peak. We decided to hike down to where the cable-car would take us the rest of the way down to the ferry stop, instead of taking the train. On our way down, we passed by many charming Swiss chalet. It would be so nice to rent out one of these chalet, make some Swiss hot chocolate, and just relax for a week in the isolated mountainside! On the ferry ride back to Lucerne, we drank some Swiss white wine while basking in the natural beauty surrounding us. Then to make the Luzern trip official, we walked across its famous wooden bridge.

...

bratwurst! and luxemburgerli.


Rigi.




more pics: switzerland (part i)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home