Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Traveling End (... for now)

Day 30 (Friday, June 2, 2006)

Although my sightseeing had come to an end, the adventure continued as I embarked on my journey back home. My flight back to the states departed from Paris on Friday afternoon. Being in Milano on Thursday, I had to make my way to Paris. So I booked a flight for early Friday morning from Bergamo (Italy) to Beauvais (France). Since the flight was extremely early in the morning and it required an one-hour bus ride from Milano to Bergamo (Orio al Serio Airport), I decided to spend the night at the airport. This was my first time spending overnight at an airport, and it was no Holiday Inn. The night consisted of continuous sleeping position readjustments, a sore butt, and mild paranoia of backpack snatchers. The airport closed for cleaning for a few hours, so my fellow slumber party and I had to relocate to a very cold and noisy building with unsleepable plastic seats. I only got 1-2 hours of sleep, but overall it was a bearable experience. Once I arrived at Beauvais Airport, I had to ride another one-hour bus to get to Paris. Then once in Paris, I had to ride the metro and then train to get to Charles De Gaulle Airport.

I checked in with plenty of time to spare. And just as I began to settle my mind on the reality that my fun was officially concluding, a wide husky Samoan-looking man with a buzz-cut starts shouting orders for everyone to move away from the gate. I was experiencing my first bomb scare. Initially, we were told to just move down a few gates. But eventually, we had to evacuate the entire terminal, which was a long and arduous task to herd hundreds of people back through a long and narrow hallway. After an hour and a half, we were allowed to return to our gates. Even then, the my flight did not depart for another two hours. I overheard that the cause of the evacuation was an unattended Disney backpack filled with toys. So somewhere a little kid was crying to his mommy because he lost his toys. Meanwhile back at the airport, an entire terminal full of passengers were seriously inconvenienced and discombobulated.



I eventually arrived in Detroit. But I arrived two hours late, and just barely missed my connecting flight to LAX. Fortunately, Northwest had already prepared hotel and meal vouchers once we arrived. I was able to watch game six of the NBA playoffs (Pistons vs. Heat) accompanied by a beer and burger at a restaurant/bar, which also happened to be on karaoke night! The waitress was a sweet old lady who ended every sentence with "honey" or "sweety". I slept in a hotel room with two double beds all to myself. And flew back to LAX the next morning.

...
Au Revoir!
Adios!
Auf Wiedersehen!
Ciao!
Cheers!

---
next: Iceland? Austrailia & New Zealand? or more of Spain?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home